Must-Have Home Gym Essentials
From zero travel time to fewer distractions, there are plenty of advantages of a home gym vs. gym membership. After all, finding the motivation to exercise is much easier when it’s just a room away.
If you’re new to creating a workout space, we’ve got your back. Start from the ground up with our home gym essentials. Whether you’re a dance cardio devotee, bootcamp buff, or just trying to set and achieve some S.M.A.R.T. fitness goals, these must-haves will start your home training on the right foot.
If you’re thinking of a renovation, let’s table that for a moment. Before figuring out how to build a home gym and listing out home gym ideas, there are two things that you have to remember. For a functional home gym, all you really need is enough space and storage—and that doesn’t have to mean an entire room.
To that end, it’s time to get creative. We’ve got some convenient tips for fitting a personal gym in any home.
If you’ve got an empty garage begging for a job, then it’s pretty easy to set up your home gym there; however, most of us don’t have a spare room lying around. In that case, the key is a convertible space.
With easy storage and minimal use, these areas best suit home gyms:
- Guest bedrooms
- Old child’s bedroom
- Living rooms
- Studies and offices
Above all, make sure you like your home gym space and that it can accommodate a full-body workout. Keep the environment well-lit, inviting, and positive.
lululemon Studio's smart home gym takes up no floor space and blends in beautifully with your home decor. Start the journey to a better you… no equipment necessary.
Shop lululemon Studio
If your home gym doubles as a playroom, then storage space is probably rare. Luckily, there are a couple of ways to maximize those few square feet.
Start by clearing the floor—vertical shelving and under-furniture storage are your best friends. Jump ropes and shoes can easily hang from wall hooks, while clunkier items like weights can fit under couches.
Above all, less is more. Everything in your home gym should be necessary—no excess clutter or dusty equipment.
What Should I Put in My Home Gym?
While bodyweight workouts are effective and convenient, the right workout equipment and accessories can also elevate your fitness. Here are a few essentials:
Cardio Equipment To Get Your Heart Pumping
It’s not just for marathon runners. No matter your lifestyle, cardio training is a necessary part of overall health and fitness. After all, everyone needs a healthy heart.
Bring up your BPM with a few of these cardio tools in your home gym:
- Jump Rope – Skip to your heart’s delight (literally) with some jump ropes. A steady beat, some coordination, and a pep in your step make for a very effective cardio workout.
- Workout Mat – At lululemon Studio, we like to keep things convenient. So we know the only necessity for a good cardio workout is your body. And maybe a slightly softer landing pad. During your next sweat session, protect your joints with a premium yoga mat. lululemon Studio’s reversible yoga mat has a top layer that absorbs moisture, and a bottom layer that provides cushioning and grip.
Power up your workout with a variety of premium home workout equipment and accessories, including mats, ankle weights, apparel, and digital smart weights.
Shop lululemon Studio accessories
Home Gym Equipment For Resistance Training
Your heart’s an important muscle—but it’s just one of the many in your body.
Beyond cardio, every fitness routine should also include resistance training (i.e., exercise for building strength). In fact, resistance training with moderate weights at a steady pace is very beneficial for cardiovascular health. Just a few resistance workouts per week can reap massive benefits, from improved bone density to lower blood pressure.
The good news? You don’t need twenty weight machines to work a variety of muscle groups. For strength training, pick versatile home gym equipment items that fit your movement style:
- Free Weights – Dumbbells, kettlebells, and smart weights all fit here. From squats to bicep curls, you can get a full body workout in with these versatile weights. Stay challenged and make continuous progress by having various poundages available. Better yet, opt for a set of connected smart weights. These have precision casting and pair with lululemon Studio to analyze your form and offer form fixes in real-time.
- Resistance Bands – Safe, storable, and incredibly flexible, resistance bands are the perfect introduction to strength training. Grab a set with varied elasticity to keep challenging yourself.
- Ankle weights – If bodyweight exercises are too easy for you, ankle weights are a quick way to increase the difficulty. Even Pilates and mat workout lovers can easily fit ankle weights into their routines. Strap on the weighted fabric and feel the burn with each leg lift.
You may be wondering, “but what about a squat rack or power rack?” Contrary to popular belief, these are not essential items for resistance training. With resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, and your own body, you can feel the burn and get strong and lean… if you work them in the correct way. lululemon Studio’s Strength: Total Body, weight training, and Sculpt classes build muscle and definition with minimal to no equipment, and no squat stand, barbell, or bumper plates in sight.
Home Gym Equipment For Recovery
The most forgotten (or ignored) part of fitness? Rest and recovery.
Rest is absolutely crucial to improving your strength. Without it, our hard-working muscles have no time to regrow and strengthen. But to maximize your fitness results, rest days should include active recovery routines. Cool down in your home gym with these equipment ideas:
- Yoga Mat – Yoga is an excellent addition to anyone’s fitness regimen and comes with plenty of mental benefits. But you can also use a yoga mat for some simple post-exercise stretching. End your next workout with a 5-minute restorative routine—you’ll definitely feel the difference in mobility.
- Foam Roller – It might be a bit painful, but it’s definitely worth it. Wring out stiff or overworked muscles with a quality foam roller. For maximum tissue impact, pick a knobbed or ridged variety.
- Home Massagers – Don’t have the time for a weekly sports massage? Handheld tools are the next best thing. From rollers to massage “guns,” these nifty devices can help your body recover from the inside out after a gruelling sweat session.
<ProductCardBlock size="5" />
Bonus: Quality Workout Apparel
As the saying goes, when you look good, you feel good. And wearing functional leggings, tanks, and t-shirts can make a difference to the quality of your workout. For example, proper compression wear aids in blood flow while exercising, soft, lightweight fabrics help with movement, and moisture-wicking materials with vent tech ensure you’re cool and comfortable. And that added boost of confidence and motivation while wearing your favorite set can go a long way, mentally.
lululemon Studio: The Smart Home Gym
If you’re wondering how to get fit at home with minimal equipment, we have you covered. For those with very little room, cut down on equipment clutter and opt for the ultimate home gym essential, lululemon Studio. The almost invisible home gym has all you need to create the perfect fitness routine. lululemon Studio revolutionizes connected fitness, allowing you to choose from over 10,000 live and on-demand workouts, as well as track your progress and fix your form in real-time.
Make Your Home Gym Work
You’ve got the shoes, the dumbbells, and the mat. But now, where do you start?
In fitness, quality beats quantity. One great workout is better than ten unsafe or unhappy ones. Make every sweat drop count by including professional guidance, variety, and community support—right from your home. To get the most out of your home gym essentials, follow these tips for working out at home:
Mix It Up
Nothing kills motivation like boredom. At the end of the day, your workouts should feel fun. And sometimes, that means bringing in the spice of life—variety.
Mixing up your workout routine boosts excitement and encourages different physical strengths. Shake it up with these home-friendly workout ideas:
- Bootcamp Circuits
- Weight Training
- Dance Cardio
Not sure where to find all of these workouts from home? lululemon Studio offers all of the above classes and more. Take a look at our extensive selection of workouts for yourself.
View lululemon Studio workouts
Consult the Experts
Whether a beginner or lifelong athlete, you can always learn from the experts. A trained professional can improve your form and push your limits, bringing you to new fitness heights.
The good news? You don’t need to hire a personal trainer for every home workout. With lululemon Studio, you can follow top licensed instructors in every class. And as a bonus, we offer one-on-one sessions to nail down your specific fitness goals.
Not a big fan of solo workouts? No problem. You can bring a fitness community right into your very home. Double-time exercise and a social life with these partner-ready activities:
- Family Fitness – If you’ve got kids bouncing off the walls, we’ve got a solution. Stoke some friendly competition by creating individual profiles right in your Mirror. The whole family can track their progress, share their top workouts, and even shake it out together. There’s something for everyone, including Cardio + Strength, Dance, Ballet, Boxing, or Yoga classes together.
- Live Workouts – Create your own studio environment at home with fully live workout classes. lululemon Studio users can connect with dozens of other members in real-time, even cheering each other on across the screen. If you prefer competition to motivate you, try Face-Off challenges against other members.
- Invite a Friend – First time trying dance cardio? Invite your Zumba-loving friend over and get stepping together. See how long you can keep a conversation going as your heart rates rise.
lululemon Studio isn’t just a smart home gym. It’s a community. Join lululemon Studio and connect with instructors and like-minded health and wellness enthusiasts.
Connect with us
Stay Motivated with lululemon Studio
Start with the home gym essentials, and you can begin a personal fitness journey built for success.
Want to make home workouts even easier? Add expert trainers, fitness friends, and performance tracking in one swoop with lululemon Studio. With our all-in-one home gym system, you’ll never need to step foot in a public gym again.
Complete your home gym essentials list with lululemon Studio. Become a member today and get FREE access to our library of over 10,000 classes you can do in your apartment for 30 days.